Friday 25 March 2016

Giving

Like most quilters, the members of my guild, Maritime Modern Quilt Guild, love giving.  At our last meeting, 11 quilts were donated to the Lodge That Gives, a home away from home for patients receiving cancer treatments at the local hospital.  I can't take any of the credit for this, as I did not participate.  This year, thought, I am stepping up and participating in our new charity activities.


We have taken on two charity projects.  I love that when it came time to vote, the members did not want to choose one suggestion over the other, but decided to embrace both projects that were presented.

We'll be making quilts for the children's hospital, something I'll talk about in another post, and we'll also be making 87 pillows to brighten up resident's rooms in a local nursing home, an initiative of my guild mate Jeanette.


I have made five pillows so far and I know many of my guild mates have also started, making one or two or, in some cases, many more.  There is a nice mix of modern and traditional, bright and subdued, something for every taste!



Most of mine are made from my older, neglected stash, using more traditional patterns.  I figured that, while most people would enjoy all the modern pillows, some folks might prefer traditional styles.



Of course, I couldn't help using this awesome (sort of) fish fabric that made its way into my stash many moons ago...  There's got to be at least one resident who is going to enjoy it!


Making pillows is such a great way to use fabric, and try different blocks and quilting motifs.  I've really enjoyed making those and I hope that they will be enjoyed by the recipients.

Here they are all together:




What charity project(s) are you participating in ?

Linking up to TGIFF which is coincidentally hosted by another one of my fabulous guildmates, Anja, who blogs at Anja Quilts.  Also linking up to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

10 comments:

  1. This is a great project to participate in. The pillows all look great and will certainly brighten up the rooms. My favourite is the teal one but I'm pretty fond of that navy and white one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do love making pillows, so this one is a perfect fit for you! I'm sure they will be loved by their recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so bright and cheery. I think we are going to meet our target of making a pillow for every resident. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF hosted @ Anja Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the variety of your cushions, definitely something for everybody! :) That fish fabric is awesome and hilarious, I can see an old fisherman enjoying that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cushions ... there is definitely something in there for everyone! Most of my makes are given away ... the giving is the best part :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pillows are an awesome idea! I really do like yours - they are sure to brighten up someone's room. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charity giving is very important to me. I gave over 30 quilts last year (lap size, baby quilts). I give to the pregnancy center (bibs, burp clothes). Our guild makes placemats for Meals on Wheels. I'm going to make some of those this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great! I can't wait to see them all piled up together...I keep trying to imagine what 87 pillows looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This Is Really Useful And Nice Information. แทงบาคาร่า
    This are such great articles. แทงบาคาร่า This articles can help you to make some new ideas.
    แทงบาคาร่า I appreciate for reading my blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This are new articles style for you. แทงบาคาร่า You can find some new idea on this. แทงบาคาร่า It might help you to write or think some new idea.
    แทงบาคาร่า Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.
    แทงบาคาร่า I am very glad for reading my articles.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).