Sunday 19 June 2016

Colourful Infinity Scarves

By now you all know I like to make personalized pillows for my kids' friends' birthdays.   But what do you give for a repeat birthday?

These two little recipients have already received pillows one year, and recycled cotton skirts the next.  This year, I had to come up with something different.

After consulting with my daughter, I went with infinity scarves.  She chose the fabrics out of my scrap bins and a couple selected larger pieces.  I have to admit, some of the combinations she chose were not something I would have chosen myself...

Colourful scarf for colourful Miss L...

Some strange combinations for Miss O, but 100% approved by a 6-yr old!

This one's for my own girl

It's like a reminder from my daughter: Don`t be afraid of colours!

These were a lot of fun to make.  There are tons of tutorials out there, and I don't remember which one I followed the first time, so I am not going to share one but one thing I am going to share is the dimensions I used so that the scarves are better suited to little girls.  I used various strips that were 12" wide to make a piece of approx. 12" x  48"-50" which was then folded and assembled.  My daughter tried it on and it was perfect.

Since we are on the topic of infinity scarves, here is one I forgot to share, made by my friend's 10-year old.  (In case she reads this, yes, I know she is 11 now, but she was 10 when she made it).


The first time Miss Z came over to our house and saw my sewing room, she showed a lot if interest for all the pretty fabrics.  She had definite tastes so I told her to set aside some that she liked.  The next time her family was over, I took her to the sewing room and showed her how to make an infinity scarf.

She did it all herself, except for a little hand sewing at the end which I know she could have done by herself, but we ran out of time.

Proudly showing her creation
Sewing with kids takes patience, but is always rewarding.  I am looking forward to more sewing with Miss Z.

And speaking of things to look forward two, I am also looking forward to making more infinity scarves, and maybe getting some more colour advice from my daughter!

6 comments:

  1. What a great gift idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! Maybe I will try your dimensions lol! I had to cut down the one I made three times to get it look good on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have the faith in Mlle E's choices to just let her go with what speaks to her. It works so well. And I love seeing another generation getting into fabric and sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for birthday gifts. I'm sure they were appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The perfect solution and oh, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really know what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my site =). We could have a link exchange arrangement between us
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    កីឡាបាល់ទាត់​ អនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).