Sunday 24 November 2013

Work in progress - 1930s nine-patch

It's not Wednesday but I have a new Work-In-Progress.  I just can't help myself!  So many unfinished projects and yet I had to start another one.

This one is fun, fun, fun.  Squares and rectangles with very little thinking (I am not overthinking any of the blocks, I just grab 2 random sets of 4 and one lone square and just go).  For a long time now, I had been wanting to combine 1930s reproduction fabrics with that green.  You know, that kind of vintage-y mint green that immediately brings you straight back to the past?  I am really liking this so far, and I anticipate the top will be finished in no time.



With two sides of sashing (which I am sewing directly on each block), each block is 12" x 12".   I have made a few more blocks since this picture was taken so I only need a few more to have 6 rows of 5 for a 63" x 75" quilt.  Or maybe I'll go with 7 rows for a nice twin size 63" x 87"

Older 1930s reproduction projects

Since we are talking about the 1930s, let me introduce my earlier projects, all of which are in my daughter's bedroom.  First, her baby quilt :


Which is now on her big bed because Mama's still working on her real big girl bed quilt...

 
Second, a quilt for her babies.  


I once read this tip: when you make a baby blanket, save some scraps and make a matching doll quilt.  I have only done this once, but what a great idea!


Third, a wall hanging for her bedroom and my first attempt at appliqué:


And I am slowly but surely plugging away at this one, a full-size quilt that I am hand quilting:


Despite being quite ready for the hand quilted one to be done, I am not tired of the 1930s type prints. 
With all the stuff that is marketed to/for little girls, I like the innocent simplicity of these 1930s prints and patterns like the Sunbonnet Sue for a little girl's room.

I know I should now quit starting new projects and finish her overdue big girl bed quilt.  I only have so many years before she outgrows these cutesy prints and wants something more grown up.

Have you made anything with 1930s prints?


4 comments:

  1. The nine patch looks great. The idea to make a doll quilt along with the baby quilt is quite brilliant. Sometimes nothing's more special than the little matching toy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the repro prints! I have made two triple Irish chains in with those fabrics. still some of my faves. You projects are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a reproduction print quilt of pinwheels, always loved this fabric. With the leftovers I also made a baby quilt for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those fabrics do look fun! I can understand why you would be starting a new project with those! Thanks for passing along that tip about the matching doll quilt. I think that is a fantastic idea! Also...
    Funny you should mention that green! Here is a post, also from today, by my friend Anne of PlayCrafts. You have to read this!
    http://www.play-crafts.com/blog/for-the-love-of-color-seafoam-green/

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).