Wednesday 3 July 2013

How do you like your log cabins?

I love Log Cabins...  traditional or modern, scrappy or carefully planned, in all kinds of layouts.  They are so versatile!

One of my first projects was a full size log cabin quilt in fall colours.  I named it "ma saison préférée" or my favourite season.  Fall is indeed my favourite season, and I am drawn to gorgeous reds, oranges, yellows... 

I don't remember which book the pattern came from - maybe one of the American Patchwork & Quilting books, but I do remember the designer's name was Diane Doro.  The thought of doing my own thing and not following a pattern had not even occurred to me at that time.  When the top was completed, I did not have a clue how to machine quilt and I was not going to tackle hand quilting a quilt that size, so I had it professionally quilted on a long arm.

Here it is hanging at the Ottawa Valley Quilters Guild Festival of quilts 2009.


This quilt is quite fragile: I was a beginner and had not quite grasped the importance of the 1/4 inch seam, or the smaller stitch length.  It is the perfect quilt for our guest bedroom where it does not have to withstand daily use, while still being loved!  I am glad my mother can sleep under something I made when she visits. 

Fast forward to 2012.  Seems like all the log cabins have gone wonky !  When I purchased Sunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkinson, I was immediately drawn to "High Five".  I just had to make something similar.  Of course, this time I tweaked the pattern, starting with the block size.  The original had 4 1/2" finished blocks... I did not want to count, let alone make that many blocks!  My blocks are 6" finished.  I also modified the larger blocks, made more of them, and improvised the layout.

 
 
Here's the back: a giant cabin, and leftover blocks that were too small. 

While making this quilt, I came to appreciate the wisdom of sorting scraps by colour - something else I picked up from Sunday Morning Quilts. It makes so much sense!

This was really fun to make, and I like the fact that it came entirely out of my scraps binding and backing included, except for a few gray purchases.

I had no clear plan for how this quilt would be used, but my husband has unofficially adopted it as the TV quilt.

So... which one do you prefer? Fall colours or brights? Precise or wonky? complicated or simple layout? Traditional or modern? 

Most of what I have been doing recently is modern and bright, but I still love the traditional stuff.  I am not a "traditional" quilter, or a "modern" quilter.  I am a quilter.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I love both your quilts, Dom. Like you, I just like doing what I like doing at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with this pattern as well! the 6" blocks are wonderful! it's so fun and scrappy. nice work! I also love the strip of squares on the back. such a happy backing!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).